[TN-Bird] Common Merganser on Tellico Lake in Monroe County

  • From: "Jean J. Alexander & David M. Johnson" <jjadmj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 20:52:58 -0500

January 9, 2005

While birding along Tellico Lake in Monroe County (east Tennessee) this
afternoon at 4:45 PM, we discovered a female Common Merganser . The bird
was seen from the TVA road to the Tanasi Monument.  We watched
the bird for thirty minutes swimming, flying, and then preening on a sand bar.
Through our scope we noted the clean white chest,  sharply defined line
separating the chest and reddish head and the white throat.  We saw the
square white wing patch in flight and while it was preening.

Directions:

From Vonore, TN turn off US 411 at the red light beside Hardee's on to State
HWY 360.  Go south 7.1 miles.  At this point State HWY 360 makes a 90 degree
turn to the right across the lake.  Go straight on County Rd. 455 4.8 miles.
Turn
left at the Tellico Lake Wildlife Area / Chota Refuge Unit sign and the Chota
Tanasi sign on Monroe County Rd. 461.  We observed the bird from .2 miles to
.7 miles at the Tanasi Monument on the left.  It was observed from as close as
30 ft. from shore to the middle of the lake.

Jean Alexander & David Johnson
Maryville, TN  (Blount County)