[TN-Bird] Clyde Austin 4-H Barn Owl, et al

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:55:27 EDT

Sat. 17 APR 2004
Clyde Austin 4-H Center, Greeneville, TN
D. Holt

Saturday evening Alice Loftin, Don Miller, Linda Northrop and I enjoyed the
company of a Barn Owl in a field behind the 4-H Center.  Our first clue to its
presence was the sputtering of some Field Sparrows in the nearby fencerow.
That got us looking in the right direction to see the owl sitting on a
fencepost
in the gloom.  We had been waiting on it, has an owl had been seen in the
area two nights in a row, Thursday night by around 50 fifth-graders from
Mountainview School of Johnson City, and Friday night by myself on a hunch that
it
might stick around.  I can't say for sure that it was the same owl every night.

We built and placed two Barn Owl nestboxes in two separate barns on the
grounds last year.  There has been no evidence of their use yet.

Also observed while waiting Saturday was a Blue Grosbeak male, and a Common
Yellowthroat (heard), both first of the year for that site.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN