[TN-Bird] Re: Chipping Sparrow

  • From: "Rick Knight" <RKnight@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>, <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "David & Gloria Patterson" <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 22:27:44 -0500

All,
Another aspect of winter distribution for Chipping Sparrows in East
Tennessee is that the farther south or west you go (decreasing
elevation, too, at least within the Ridge & Valley), the more of them
you will likely see.  In other words, the Chattanooga area will have
more than the Knoxville area which, in turn, will have more than the
Tri-cities area.

The general impression I have of Chipping Sparrows wintering in
Northeast Tennessee is that they have increased significantly over the
last 10-15 years.  In the 1970s & early 1980s, I rarely saw one in
winter.  Now they are annual here in winter.

Rick Knight
Johnson City, TN
rknight@xxxxxxxxxxxxx