[TN-Bird] Chipping, Fox and Song Sparrows...got 'em

  • From: "Anna Varney" <livingglass@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "tnbird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 09:01:45 -0600

Feb 18 & 19, 2006
Perry County
After reading discussions regarding wintering Chipping Sparrows I decided to
check out the mixed seed feeder.  Found one Chipping Sparrow on it.  Even
though I'm in western Middle TN, this is the first time I've seen one feed at
the feeder, then again, this is the most snow we've ever had here (appx 2")
that's lasted more than one day.

Great weekend to find other 'unusuals' at the feeder including 1 Fox Sparrow, 3
Song Sparrows and 1 Field Sparrow.  Always tons of Juncos, good numbers of
Downy's, pair of Pileated, 4 Yellow Bellied Sapsuckers fighting over the peanut
butter.  Also seen one Phoebe.

Curiously absent is Brown Creeper...only seen one this season and usually see
them quite often.  Wondering if anyone else has had this situation.

We are blessed to be able to offer all of these visitors and resident birds
lots of cover in the form of numerous cedars and other evergreen shrubs, stacks
of firewood, brush piles and even an outbuilding lacking windows that they can
get into along with acres of mixed hardwoods.  We also have a hillside that we
cleared of a couple of tall oaks.  Native wildflowers took seed and have
produced natural food.  Another great thing here is a free running spring that
steps down to create shallow pools wonderful for bathing and drinking.  Bathing
not recommended on a day like today...

Life is good.

Anna Varney
Perry County, TN