[TN-Bird] Chickasaw NWR - Shorebirds

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 08:54:00 EDT

May 25, 2005
Chickasaw NWR
Lauderdale Co. TN

Yesterday, after work, I ran up to Chickasaw NWR to try for 3 Whimbrel that
were seen on Tuesday. I had no luck on the Whimbrel but did see quite a few
shorebirds; most were using the far west area so it was a long but productive
walk. I was later joined by Michael Stroeh with the USFW Service and we
birdied  till dusk.

We found 7 Black-bellied Plovers, 16 Semipalmated Plovers, Killdeer, 2
Greater Yellowlegs, 1 Solitary Sandpiper, 3 bright male Ruddy Turnstones,  6
Least
Sandpipers, 480 Semipalmated Sandpipers ( a lot more hidden that  could not be
seen well enough to count) NO Western (consistent with few or none  seen in
other areas this season), 4 Pectoral Sandpipers, 42 Dunlin in stunning
plumage, 15 Short-billed Dowitchers, with some in the best and  richest colored
plumage that I've seen in years.

Again, this is the first really productive Managed shorebird habitat  in TN
due to Stroeh's efforts. It will with his attention and care become better
each season producing numbers and diversity in both duck and shorebird species.

This year there were thousands of shorebird using the area (multi-thousand
Yellowlegs in one period) and in one freeze period during the winter 100,000
waterfowl. It takes someone that thinks about the habitat and is given the
support from others to produce results.

Just calling it shorebird habitat does not make it shorebird habitat, it
takes prep and forethought, that produces food, which results in  numbers using
the area. Brian Harrington emphasized  a great point in  front of quite a few,
late on the second day of the TVA meeting, on how  important it is for the
areas to be large, open and largely free of standing  vegetation giving the
birds
unobstructed views. You can't have small areas  surrounded by vegetation and
expect anything but small numbers and  diversity.

Stroeh also had 20 Black Terns on Monday but we had only one but it  was in
immaculate breeding plumage and a pleasure to watch. We had 50+ Least  Terns,
with some males courting the females and plying them with fish for sex. I
believe there was a nest in one area as I was mobbed and dived on by a bunch
when
I approached.

Besides the resident Canada Geese, there were the expected Mallards with
some females escorting young and 4 hen Hooded Mergansers with 21 chicks, Wood
Ducks but no young, plus single male Gadwall, Ring-necked and Lesser Scaup. A
Pied-billed Grebe on a late nest was observed and there were 2 American White
Pelicans trying to blend in with the hundreds of Great Egrets. There were 30+
Snowy Egrets and numerous Great Blue but only 2 Little Blue and they were
fly by's.

Two immature Bald Eagles were seen playing tag in the air and later perched
trying to find a duck or goslings looking the other way.

Good  Birding!!!
Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett,  TN