[TN-Bird] Cherokee National Forest- Ocoee Area Benton, TN

  • From: robert loveday <rhloveday@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 05:30:16 -0700 (PDT)

We made a trip to the Sugarland overlooks at Cherokee National
Forest Saturday (Hwy 64E from Cleveland heading towards the
whitewater rafting section, left on 77 past the Rangers station,
3-6 mi. up the mountain towards Benton Falls).

Warblers of note were Black & whites, Hooded, many
Black-throated greens, & Magnolia. Many vireos were heard, but
never seen.  Indigo buntings were everywhere we turned.  There
was a loud & constant drone, whirring sound, which we assumed &
later verified to be Cicadas (Thankfully, the massive
congregations were further down the mountain w/ only a few up
top).  They serenaded us (like something out of a 50's B sci-fi
movie) while we birded & had beautiful views of the valley
below.  White-eyed vireo & more Indigo buntings were later seen
on a trail near the Whitewater Center.

Robert & Leigh Loveday
Cleveland, TN