[TN-Bird] Re: Cherokee Farms - 4 Geese

  • From: Dan Ellsworth <ellsy10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 08:01:59 -0600

Between around 5:00 and 6:00 PM yesterday, March 4th,  the Snow Goose and
Ross's Goose were still present at Cherokee farms.  They were on land and
easily visible from the Greenway paths.  However, from the road they were not
visible as a nearby slope blocked the view of them.  Just thought I would
mention that in case anyone looks for them and has trouble finding them.

I could not find the Cackling Goose anywhere despite much time scanning the
flocks of Canada Geese, but hopefully it might pop up again for someone else.

There are also Wilson's Snipe along the Greenway trail around the grassy areas
flooded with rainwater.

Dan Ellsworth
Knox County

From: massey6932@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Bird] Cherokee Farms - 4 Geese
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 20:14:54 -0500

I stopped by this afternoon, March 2, 2015, to check out the Geese at Cherokee
Farms.  You can take the first exit after going over the Tennessee River going
south on Alcoa Hwy.   All four species of Geese were still there.  The Snow and
Ross were hanging out together at the end of a short Cul-de-sac just before you
get to the new building.   The Crackling Goose was down with a larger group of
Canada Geese behind the new building and closer to the river. I more or less
parked behind the bldg. and scoped from there.  The first thing I noticed on
the Crackling Goose was how pale its back was compared to the Canada Geese.
The neck is distinctively short as well as the smaller size.   You may have to
look at a lot of birds to find it. Morton MasseyKnox County