[TN-Bird] Cherohala Skyway trip tomorrow--June 10

  • From: Billie <bfcantwell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 11:07:01 -0400

*/Cherohala Skyway/*
*Sunday, June 10 @ 7:00 a.m. *
*Leader: Mike Nelson, *madbirder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:madbirder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Get up early to beat the heat and see high-elevation birds of the mountains on this early June trip. After carpooling from west Knoxville or Tellico Plains (details below), the group will head to the Cherohala Skyway that bridges Tennessee and North Carolina. We'll begin the drive up by checking the pull-offs along the way for breeding migrants like Louisiana Waterthrush, Northern Parula, Black-and-white Warbler, and Red-eyed Vireo. At another overlook, we'll check the open forest below for Red-headed Woodpecker and Pine Warbler before continuing up to some woodland for Blackburnian and Canada Warblers. Once past the 5,000-foot elevation mark, the group will come to Hooper Bald and check for Northern Bobwhite, Least Flycatcher, Veery, Gray Catbird, Blue-headed Vireo, and Hairy Woodpecker. At Huckleberry Knob, we will walk the bald looking for breeding Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Hermit Thrush. On the way back down, we’ll stop in some rhododendron forest to check for Hooded and Black-throated Blue Warbler.

To carpool, meet at 7:00 a.m. at the west end of the Kroger parking lot just east of the intersection of Northshore Drive and Pellissippi Parkway (9501 Northshore Drive SW, Knoxville, 37922). If you live south or east of Knoxville, you can also meet up with the group at 8:00 a.m. at the Hardees restaurant in Tellico Plains.

This is an all-day field trip, and the group should arrive back around 5:00 p.m. We'll stop for breakfast in Tellico Plains and to get some snacks. Bring a packed lunch as we'll stop on one of the balds for a picnic-style lunch. We may also stop on the way back in Tellico Plains for those who want to get something to eat later in the day.

 *

Billie Cantwell
Knox County, TN