[TN-Bird] Chattanooga mingrants in mid-March?

  • From: Thomas Miko <thomas_miko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 14:34:09 -0800

Hi Folks,
Some of you may remember me.  I signed up for this list a year ago, when my
boss informed me that he was sending me to Chattanooga for a week, where I
would struggle to keep my eyes open while somebody else did all the talking for
4 straight days.  Well, my boss is sending me back to Chattanooga, this time
from March 18th to 22nd.
Last year, Marty Paige and Carol Fegarido picked me up after class, and showed
me wonderful birds.  The Barred Owl and Red-headed Woodpeckers were fantastic,
but the Woodcock flushed when my back was turned (in other words, it would
still be a life bird).
I am hoping that despite the fact that March 18th is a good month before when I
would expect migration to get interesting here in southern California, maybe
there are some migrants that will be moving through that part of the state
(Swainson's Warbler? Swallow-tailed Kite?), and would like to get some feedback
on which early spring migrants I might run across, and where I should look.
Locations need to be somewhere I can get to when class ends around 4:00 or 4:30
p.m., each day, in Chattanooga.
Thank you,

Tom

Thomas Geza Miko