[TN-Bird] Chattanooga TOS Smoky Mountain Fieldtrip

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To:
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 14:44:49 -0400

Eight members of the Chattanooga TOS spent the weekend (5/31-6/1) at Smoky
Mountains National Park concentrating on birds of the high elevations.  On
Saturday night we made a somewhat ridiculous attempt at hearing Saw-Whet
Owls along the overlooks at and below Clingman's Dome.  The wind was blowing
about thirty mph and it was COLD.  I even thought I felt a snowflake or two!
Sunday was much more successful with two Red Crossbills at the bathrooms at
Newfound Gap, and two sets of two at Indian Gap. We got excellent looks at a
couple of the birds feeding above us.  We also had Black-capped Chickadees
calling along the AT above Indian Gap as well as a Common Raven,
Red-breasted Nuthatches, Brown Creepers and Golden-crowned Kinglets at the
expected locations. Several Pine Siskins were in the Clingman's Dome parking
lot.

Judy Newsome and I continued the trip on Monday 6/2 in the Roan Mountain
area where we met up with Rick Knight and let him take us to some of his
favorite haunts in the area. We started out at Hampton Creek Cove Natural
Area on the slopes of Roan where we had several male Least Flycatchers and
Golden-winged Warblers calling.  We also had Willow Flycatchers at the
natural area, a couple of Acadians on the road to the top of Roan and at
least one Alder Flycatcher singing at Carver Gap four a for empid day!  We
also had a couple of Pine Siskins at Carver Gap and a singing Magnolia
Warbler at the top of Roan beyond the picnic area.  Possible nesting?

Thanks Rick for taking some time with us!

Kevin Calhoon
Chattanooga, TN