[TN-Bird] Chattanooga RBA #3

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To:
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:13:14 -0500

This is Kevin Calhoon with the Chattanooga RBA, sponsored by the Chattanooga
Chapter of the Tennessee Ornithological Society.

This is Update Number #3 made on March 15, 2005.

The phone portion of the RBA is still out of service. I am still working on
it.

The Brainerd Levee (Hamilton co.) has been a good place for early migrants
over the last couple of weeks.  Yesterday afternoon (March 14) at the levee
I (Kevin Calhoon) had 42 species in less than an hour.  Some of the
highlights included:

-          2 Northern Rough-winged Swallows

-          13 Pectoral Sandpipers

-          1 Greater Yellowlegs

-          2 Lesser Yellowlegs

-          78 Wilson's Snipe

-          8 species of ducks (including a male Bufflehead)

-          2 American Pipits

-          2 Rusty Blackbirds

Here is a short update of the Peregrine activity below Chickamauga Dam from
Harold Sharp:

We have not been seeing Dreama (female) much lately, a very good sign that
she may be nesting again on the RR Bridge. Looking back at the sighting
charts that Jack has on the web site we find;

2000--The nest was at the Bluffs and we did not know it until chicks were
seen July 11.

2001--They were nesting on March 11.

2002--They were nesting March 8.

2003--We were expecting nesting in March but the trains caused Dreama to
miss as she left the nest when they arrived.

2004--They were nesting March 11.

The next general meeting of the Chattanooga TOS will be on April 7 at 7:00
PM at Accension Luthern Church, 720 South Germantown Rd.

Get out in the Field and let me know what you see!