[TN-Bird] Chattanooga RBA #11

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To:
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:52:31 -0400

This is Kevin Calhoon with the Chattanooga RBA, sponsored by the
Chattanooga Chapter of the Tennessee Ornithological Society.
This is Update Number #11 made on April 27, 2004.
You can call the RBA at 423 -821-4381.
More and more spring migrants are arriving!

April 26, 2004 (written by Dan Jacobson)
Hamilton and Marion County, TN
Judy Newsome, Kevin Calhoon and I birded in two TN counties from 7:30AM -
8:10PM and listed 135 species. We had 27 species of warblers and 12 species
of
shorebirds. I will highlight a few of the more noteworthy ones.
RED-THROATED LOON-1 Shellmound landing, Nickajack Lake, Marion Co.
American Bittern-1 Standifer Gap Marsh, Hamilton Co.
Least Bittern-1 Standifer Gap Marsh
Virginia Rail-4  Standifer Gap Marsh
Sora-4            Standifer Gap Marsh
(Note: We looked for the HENSLOW'S SPARROW I found at the marsh on 4/24
without success. (Kevin Calhoon))
Had over 150 shorebirds behind Boyd Buchanan School observed from the
Brainerd Levee; all seen there unless noted specifically.
Semipalmated Plover-2
Killdeer-6, including 3 young
Greater Yellowlegs-3
Lesser Yellowlegs-100+ there and 9 at Standifer Gap Marsh
Solitary Sandpiper-7
Spotted Sandpiper-2
UPLAND SANDPIPER-1seen near Riverport Rd in field between Hamilton Plastics
and Metals USA
Semipalmated Sandpiper-1
Least Sandpiper-15
BAIRD'S SANDPIPER-2
Pectoral Sandpiper-4
Wilson's Snipe-40
Forster's Tern-2 Nickajack Dam, Marion Co.
WARBLING VIREO-1, singing along Cash Canyon Road, Hamilton Co.
    Only the second one I have observed in Hamilton Co.
Marsh Wren-3 Standifer Gap Marsh
VEERY-2 Cravens House, Hamilton Co.
Swainson's Thrush-2 Cravens House
Magnolia Warbler-1 Kevin Calhoon's house, Hamilton Co.
Black-throated Blue Warbler-1 Kevin Calhoon's house
Bay-breasted Warbler-2 Kevin Calhoon's house
Cerulean Warbler-2 Kevin Calhoon's house
LINCOLN'S SPARROW-1 Standifer Gap Marsh
Bobolink-2 males Standifer Gap Marsh
Lots of good birds and lots of fun!

DANIEL JACOBSON

I had a HENSLOW'S SPARROW, LEAST BITTERN, and King, Virginia, and Sora at
Standifer Gap Marsh on 4/24.  The sparrow was not relocated on 4/25. (Kevin
Calhoon)

Here are the results of the TOS fieldtrip led by Kevin Calhoon to the
Cravens House on 4/25.  Highlights included:
Bay-breasted Warbler (first report of spring)
Blackpoll Warbler
Blue-winged Warbler
Cape May Warbler
Tennessee Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Lots of tanagers, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and Baltimore Orioles

Here are the highlights of the 63 species seen on the TOS fieldtrip to
Baylor School led by Jonnie Sue Lyons on 4/24:
Northern Waterthrush (first report of spring)
Gray Catbird (first report of spring)
Great Egret
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Orchard Oriole
Northern Harrier
(Libby Wolfe reporting)

The first report of Prothonotary Warbler came from Wolftever Creek in
Ooltewah on 4/13. (Bill Haley)

The first report of Yellow-billed Cuckoo came from Honors Golf Course in
Ooltewah on 4/21. (David Stone)

The first report of Eastern Wood-Pewee came from the Cravens House on 4/20.
(Kevin Calhoon)

Dont forget the National Migration spring count in Hamilton County will be
held on Sat. May 8. I will be in contact with you about doing the areas you
did last year.  For more information on the count call Kevin Calhoon at
423-821-6802.

The next general meeting of the Chattanooga TOS will be on May 13
7:00 PM at Accension Luthern Church, 720 South Germantown Rd.
Get out in the Field and let me know what you see!!