[tn-bird] Cedars of Lebanon

  • From: Chris Sloan <chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 14:19:35 -0500

Today, upon invitation of the Carthage bird club, I spent a very
pleasant morning birding in and around Cedars of Lebanon State Park in
Wilson County.  The following transients and returning summer residents
were observed:

1 Cooper's Hawk (appeared to be migrating)
2 Chimney Swifts
2 Barn Swallows
1 Northern Rough-winged Swallow
9 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers
1 Wood Thrush
3 Red-eyed Vireos
5 White-eyed Vireos
8 Yellow-throated Vireos
1 Ovenbird
1 Northern Parula
1 Black-throated Green Warbler
8 Prairie Warblers
1 Summer Tanager

Also of note:
46 Yellow-rumped Warblers
3 Wild Turkeys
1 Hermit Thrush (love that song!)
1 Purple Finch*

*This was a female that appeared to be very sick.  In fact, for about
ten minutes we were walking around ten feet underneath it examining a
tree with lots of pine beetle damage, when all of a sudden somebody
looked up and there it was.  The entire time, it barely moved, only
occasionally turning its head slowly with its eyes closed or partly
closed.  There appeared to be some discoloration around the eyes, which
makes me wonder if this bird had conjunctivitis?

Chris Sloan
chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx
Nashville, TN