[TN-Bird] Cedar Waxwings - Fall Food

  • From: Ed Schneider <ed.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:53:38 -0500

After all the talk of "Fall Food", I heard a flock of Cedar Waxwings in our
pear tree this morning. I'm pretty sure it's thetypical "Bradford" variety, but
has produced excessive fruit for the past few seasons. This Fall, the squirrels
have takenan early liking to the tree, stripping the green fruit for the seeds
inside.
The Waxwings and Robins have always been present in this tree for the last few
years during and into early Winter, aslong as there was fruit remaining. Last
season in fact, I had three Pileated Woodpeckers in the tree at the same time!
Long story short, this is the first I've seen any Waxwings in the yard since
late last Spring.
Ed SchneiderWhites CreekDavidson Co.