[TN-Bird] Re: Cedar Hill Swamp WMA

  • From: Tony Lance <tonylance@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 08:29:45 -0500

While it's true that Cedar Hill Swamp WMA is state land, any
prospective visitors hoping to see the wetlands in that area should
be aware that the only part of the swamp that remains is on private
land on the other side of the railroad tracks from the WMA with no
direct access. To get there you have to walk off-trail through the
WMA and then go down the tracks for a bit and view the swamp from the
vantage point they afford. I'm told that this was not always the
case, and that a sizable wetland once existed on the WMA but it has
since dried up and become successional habitat.

I live only a few miles away from Cedar Hill and I've been to the
swamp about a dozen times this year. It's one of my favorite places
to bird simply because it's so different from anything else in the
area. Tree Swallows, Wood Ducks, Prothonotary Warblers and Green
Herons nest there, and I've had Marsh Wren there in the spring. As
for the Red-headed Woodpeckers, although it's very difficult to count
them I think there are more than 30 of these birds calling the swamp
home these days. Yesterday Scott Block and I were able to see as many
as 10 at one time in one small area as they flew back and forth from
the pin oaks to the snags caching acorns. Regardless of the exact
number, I've never seen so many of that species in one location. (For
what it's worth we had six species of woodpeckers there yesterday,
missing only the sapsucker.)

A well-placed TWRA employee tells me the swamp is at the top of the
state's list of properties to be acquired and conserved, but a
current lack of funds is delaying any action. Since the swamp is
rather difficult to find if you don't know where you're going, I'll
be glad to take anyone who's interested there when I can. Contact me
via email. Also, for anyone who might be interested the Loggerhead
Shrike was still present yesterday on Carter Rd.

Tony Lance
Springfield, TN

On Oct 25, 2009, at 4:57 PM, Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Cedar Hill Swamp is a designated Wildlife Management Area, property
> of  the
> state of Tennessee, managed of course by TWRA. So technically it is
> public, subject to rules and (hunting) schedules of WMAs. It's less
> than 200
> acres, located in the community of Cedar Hill, in Robertson county,
> as pointed
> out by Duane Rice. I'm glad to hear a good birding report from there,
> especially  on the Red-headed Woodpeckers present, they are always
> a good find.
> This  little area has been on my to-visit list for a while now, as
> potential
> area in  middle TN to visit. I'm also interested in it as butterfly
> site, as
> Robertson  county is so far under-surveyed for leps.
>
> Richard Connors
> Nashville

                       MAP RESOURCES