[TN-Bird] Cat Catchers and Sublet Nest

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, albirds@xxxxxxxxxxx,ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 08:02:58 EST

March - 2003

Hawks and Owls are nesting and raising young all around town. My pair of
Great Horned Owls, right here in bustling Bartlett, have evidently gotten
their young up to a point where they don't have to be brooded at night. More
often than not around 3 AM, I am awakened by the male's low hooting just feet
from my head. Here lately the female eventually joins him in the same tree
and they exchange night views. He stays sometimes and hoots till 5:30, she
has to go home to the kids.

Although I have not found the nest, the crows have been making it a point to
raise a ruckus everyday around a large cedar tree and yesterday I finally
found a well camouflaged Great Horned roosting up against the trunk. It is
nice to see such a wonderful creature in the midst of the surrounding
subdivisions. Their stealth hunting has rid my 2 acres and much of the
neighborhood of cats since their return. Unfortunately the Screech Owl that
had came back a couple of years ago has left, hopefully of its own choosing
and not as a take out meal for the Great Ones.

Now subletting nests. Some years back, I found Red-shouldered Hawks nesting
in a large oak tree in the Mississippi River bottoms. It was quite high above
the ground and they raised young. The following year the nest went unoccupied
but the location was good enough for a pair of Bald Eagles to build on it for
two years before nesting and raising their own young. Since it has to be
viewed from far away, it was hard to determine if anything used the huge nest
the following year as the eagles moved out and built a nest that did not
survived a wind storm and eventually built two other test nests before
occupying the one where they are nesting at this time.

The next winter a Great Horned Owl raised young at this location and now this
year a Red-tailed hawk is tending young. All at the same high rise location
but, just as some human habitats, for some reason this location has a high
turn over rate. Such is life in an upwardly mobile society.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.