[TN-Bird] Carport Birds on Tuesday

  • From: "Tommy Curtis" <tcbirdwatch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird Post" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 21:14:51 -0600

We moved our automobile over to the far side of our carport yesterday and put
seed down where the ice and snow could not cover it and the results have been
phenominal.  Today we had about 25 White-throated, 5 Field, 1 Chipping, 6 Song,
House, and our normally reticent Red Fox Sparrow that stayed under the carport
eating almost all day.  There were Red-winged Blackbirds, Cowbirds, Grackles,
and Starlings throughout the day along with Mourning and Eurasian Doves.  Two
male Eastern Towhees visited more frequently than normal, along with a Brown
Thrasher.  Our usual Blue Jays, Cardinals, Chickadees, Nuthatches, and
Titmouses were in large numbers, with a Carolina Wren coming several times and
the female Red-bellied Woodpecker dominating the feeder by the window.  House
and Goldfinches were in good numbers but the two male and three female Purple
Finches delighted us all day.  A couple of Robins and a Mockingbird came by to
watch but the great surprise of the day happened in the afternoon when a Hermit
Thrush appeared and walked calmly by the other birds as they fed and then
disappeared around the back side of the car after giving both of us great
startled looks.  Our only disappointment was the White-crowned Sparrow not
showing up when he was the bird we hoped for all day.  We have put out as much
seed Monday and Tuesday as we normally would in five days but we’ll gladly buy
more to have an opportunity to see this many birds gathered in one small place
for such a prolonged period of time.  The seed is already out for tomorrow
morning and we are excited about what might show up.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County