[TN-Bird] Carolina menage a trois

  • From: EGLEAVES@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 08:28:54 EDT

For a year or so, Carolina Wrens have been sleeping on our covered front
porch, fully protected from the elements.  Sometimes it is one, sometimes two,
but
last night it was three--an avian menage a trois.  They all look like balls
of fluffy feathers with tails hanging down, heads out of sight.  Cardinals, on
the other hand, which sometimes use the same area in the winter, sleep at full
attention, as if they are wide awake.
I've read that Carolina Wrens mate for life, but now I want to know who that
third party is in their bedroom....A teenager who won't leave home?  An adult
child back home after an unhappy mating?  A wife in waiting????

Ed Gleaves
Nashville, TN