[TN-Bird] Cardinals molting + a hackberry comment & question

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 08:37:04 EDT

Greetings Birders,

Here in the Charlotte Park area of West Nashville, my molting cardinals are
putting on a sort of unusual show.  The feathers that are molting from  their
underparts are being very slow to drop off, and the birds look as if they  are
wearing "droopy drawers" or trousers down around their legs.   Several of the
birds have been showing this "eccentricity" for several  days.  Since I have
so many cardinals, it may be different birds every day  or so.  They sort of
remind me of photos I've see of some bird species that  actually DO have
feathers on their legs.  We used to have some little  chickens that did.

The limb of my hackberry tree right behind the deck, a favorite perch for  my
Cooper's hawks and my hummingbirds, seems to be dead.  It and several  other
nearby limbs are losing their bark and dying.  It looks as if the  squirrels
may be stripping the bark, or it may be infested with some kind of  insect.  I
walked over to the tree yesterday, when I returned from the  doctor's, and
found a streak from that major limb down the trunk to the ground  as if
lightening may have struck it.  It just doesn't look like the "gash"  that I've
noticed
from lightning strikes before.  I didn't see any insect  activity, and the
bark on the trunk is not coming off.  That's just on the  upper limbs of the
big
branch.  Any thoughts?

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN