[TN-Bird] Captive magnolia warbler lays eggs!

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:33:47 EDT

Hello Everyone,
The following news item was taken from the online newsletter to members of
the Nashville Zoo in Nashville, TN.  There was a picture of her on the nest,
but
I feared it would not transfer on the list.  If you wish to see it, please
E-mail me personally, and I will try to get it to you.

Dee Thompson
Nashville

 Croft Aviary Resident Makes History
If you haven't seen the magnolia warbler zipping around the aviary lately,
there's a good reason. She has been quietly making history by being the first
magnolia warbler in captivity to lay eggs. Since she is the only kind of her
specie in the aviary the eggs are not fertile, however her efforts don't go
unnoticed. In late June keepers observed her gathering materials, including
spider
web, and taking it to a particular tree in the aviary. Several days later the
nest was checked and the eggs were discovered.

Warbler species are rare in captivity (this particular bird was injured and
can not be released back into the wild) which means zoos don't know a lot about
their diets, behaviors and especially breeding habits. The hope is that now
we know it can be done and how to do it. What the Nashville Zoo bird staff
attained can be utilized by other zoos and with other warbler species as well.

Amazingly, in the wild magnolia warblers spend winter as far south as Panama,
then migrate through the U.S. to nest as far north as British Columbia. To
top this feat, in the fall, they retrace their 2,000 mile path back to South
America.