[TN-Bird] Cades Cove - Sun 9/23

  • From: <dawilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:48:28 -0700

I decided to visit the sewage ponds at Cades Cove-GSMNP after reading about all
the great birds seen there last weekend. Took my mother along and we saw 3
bears close up on Sparks Ln. before getting to the ponds about 9:00am and
stayed to 12:30. Not as many birds on the water as I hoped and a Broad-Winged
was the only raptor seen but lots of warblers were in the trees south of the
ponds, especially CAPE MAY, TENNESSEE, AND PALM. One bird was peculiar--there
was a completely white pigeon w/ orangy feet and what looked like a yellow band
around its leg flying around the ponds at times and perching on the north side
trees. At one time a fem Kingfisher was perched beside it. Does anyone know of
this bird? I assume it's an albino pigeon. Maybe it's a regular.

birds noted: (some were seen often and I didn't keep count)

Canada Goose
Wood Duck - 25
Blue-Winged Teal - 6
Pie-billed Grebe - 2
Belted Kingfisher - 1 f
Spotted Sandpiper - 1 winter plumage

Amer. Redstart - 2 (m,f)
Black and White Warbler - 2
Black-thr Blue - 1 m
Blackburnian - 1
Cape May - many
Chestnut-sided - 1 imm.
Hooded - 2
Magnolia - 1
Palm - many in trees and on south fence of pond
Tennessee - many
Red-Eyed Vireo - 1 heard
E. Phoebe - 3-4
E. Wood Pewee - 2-3

Pileated W.P. - 1
Amer. Goldfinch - 2-3
Tufted Titmouse
Car. Chickadee
Amer. Crow
Wild Turkey (along loop before Spark's Ln)
Rock Dove - 1 albino?

Broad-Winged Hawk - 1

Shane Williams - Knoxville

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES