[TN-Bird] Re: Cades Cove (GSMNP, Blount County) pipit

  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "birdglass44@xxxxxxx" <birdglass44@xxxxxxx>, "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 07:52:29 -0800 (PST)

Warren,

Definite American Pipit. The overall color is much
buffier brown on Sprague's, the face is very bland on Sprague's with the
 dark eye really standing out with distinct crown streaking. The only streaking
below is a narrow band that forms a necklace, the flanks are unmarked, and the
back is boldly streaked with pale braces in Sprague's. There are several other
distinctions, but these stand out from your shot. One thing that is dead
giveaway if you are watching a pipit feed, American does that typical pipit
tail-bobbing, Sprague's doesn't do this. When you see the legs well, they are
obviously pink on Sprague's.

Here are a couple of Sprague's shots for comparison.

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
www.pbase.com/mctodd
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx