[TN-Bird] CTOS field trip to Soddy Mtn

  • From: TenacBirder@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 00:24:13 +0000 (UTC)

9/19/15
Soddy Mountain Hawk Watch
Hamilton Co., Tn.

Several CTOS members enjoyed a field trip to Soddy Mountain.
We started at 9:00 and ended at 5:15 eastern. Hawks were a
bit slow in the morning but picked up around 2:00.

Participants included Hugh Barber; Pete Robinson; Pete &
Marge Krampe; Bill Holt; Clay Seneker David Spicer and Cynthia
& Jimmy Wilkerson.

visitors were Ronald Wingo from Walton co., GA with his son
Josh Wingo who just happens to be a star football player at
Grundy co. High School, Tn.

We saw:
1 Osprey
46 Broad-winged Hawks
2 Sharp-shinned Hawks
1 Cooper's Hawk
1 Peregrine Falcon (juv.)
along with 34 species of other birds which would include an,
as far as I know, first for the hawk watch, COMMON RAVEN. As
unlikely as this may seem to other skeptics, such as myself,
there were enough field marks to reasonably confirm a spot on
identification. The bird first seen at 3:20 by Bill Holt was
in our view for about 4 minutes. Other people to view this bird
were David Spicer and Cynthia & Jimmy Wilkerson. Seen from about
a third mile away, the bird flew from center stage to our west.
We all observed a very black bird larger than a crow. Bill
remarked about the way the bird was soaring along with his big
head and thick neck. David Spicer commented about its prominent
wedged tail. While I wanted to call it another Black Vulture, to
many things just didn't add up for a Black Vulture. I couldn't help
but notice its wings which looked narrow like an Osprey, there were
also very long fingers, longer than a crows at its wing tips.
Cynthia said she could see its pointed beak out in front of its
large head. This is our observation, comments will be welcomed.

Soddy Mtn is just under 1400 feet elevation and the bird was up
at least 12 to 1500 feet above us. As an after thought, from our
location we can look east across the Tennessee River and see Big Frog
Mountain where the bird could have leisurely soared over from.

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson, Hamilton co.,

http://soddymountainhawkwatch.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/Soddy-Mountain-Hawk-Watch-1608121316117914/timeline