[TN-Bird] CANADA GOOSE NEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • From: featherbrain@xxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:24:26 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
I am sorry that I failed to mention our pair of Canada Geese, whom we
named Feather Brain, the female, and Igor, the male, after 2 of the geese
on the movie "Fly Away Home". They have been with us for 44 days now. We
feed them corn, so I think that's why they come every winter. They have
become very tame to the point where I can get within a couple feet of
them. Today though, was an exciting day for me, they started building a
nest on one of our islands on our pond!!!!!!!!! I had noticed that Feather
Brain had been on the island allot for a couple of days, but today as I
was eating breakfast, I noticed her grabbing grass and putting it in one
particular spot. I thought that was odd, but it never occurred to me,
until a few minutes later, that she may of been building a nest! She
worked her poor little heart out for 5 hours that I know of, for we had to
leave at 1:45 pm, but I'm sure she was working while we were gone.
Meanwhile, Igor just kind of ignored her while she was working so hard, in
fact, when I went down to the barn to fill up my corn bucket, Igor flew
down to our other pond near the barn to get "his" corn. I'll keep you
posted on any other stuff during this nesting period.
If you would like to see a picture of the start of her nest, click here:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2129260318&idx=1
Thanks,
David Hollie
Ringgold, GA