[TN-Bird] Burkes Garden, Tazewell County, Virginia,

  • From: Christopher J O'Bryan <snakeboy85@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:16:44 -0500

Birders,
       Today (21st, Feb.) the Bristol Bird Club and some members of the
Russell County Bird
 Club attended the annual Burkes Garden, Tazewell County, Virginia, field
trip.
The weather at Burkes Garden (3100ft Elev.) was tremendous, the winds
nearly blew us to
our senses (which is rare). We had to pin our scopes to the ground to
keep them from blowing
away. This was a great birding trip. We observed approximately twenty
eight (28) bird species
and a total of nine hundred, forty one individual birds with two (2) Fox
Squirrels and a feeding Muskrat!
We birded from 10:00 to 14:20, a total of  four (4) hours and twenty (20)
minutes.
The birders were Mary Jane Erwin, Judy Roach, Bill Grigsby, Ruth Smith,
Larry Mcdaniel,
Allen Trently, Ron Harrington, Mike Hagy, Don Cumbow, Janice and Fred
Martin, Wallace Coffey,
Chris O'Bryan, Jean Montgomery, Bob Montgomery, Don Holt, Rick Knight,
Bob Quillen, Carolyn
Evans, Jane Thornhill, and Jerry Thornhill. A total of twenty one (21)
birders.
We missed the Golden Eagle this time but will get him next time.
Species were,
1. Red-tailed Hawk~9
2. Common Raven~13
3. Belted Kingfisher~1