[TN-Bird] Brown Pelican - Memphis

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 19:44:19 EST

Nov. 2, 2008
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

After 3 hours of touring Ensley Bottoms and adding a Greater Yellowlegs to
the weekend shorebird list for the 10th species and getting a lot of photos of
borealis (adults and immature), calurus (Krider's, light morph and rufous
morph) Red-tails, I decided to sit a while looking over TVA Lake.

At 11:30, I noticed a bird coming out of McKellar Lake and flying straight
at me; it had a strange wing shape. My mind ran through the likely  birds and
settled on an Osprey coming head on, after all I had  photographed one here on
Saturday. Suddenly the bird started circling and  all guesses went out the
window; up went the field glasses and there was a BROWN  PELICAN!! The bird
circled up to get above the tall TVA power lines but soared  off to the east. I
was
able to jump out of the truck and get off a few shots.  Because the bird went
east rather than south, I think it may still be in the  area of McKellar Lake
but a couple of hours of searching from Martin Luther King  Park and
President's Island produced only 16 Ring-billed, 5 Herring and a single
FRANKLIN'S
GULL.

Also added today, a small flock of Snow and Blue Geese that also  contained 2
Ross's Geese and I phished up 7 species of sparrows in the  fields. The
Mississippi River has come up 5 feet in two days and nothing has  been seen out
there on the river since Friday.

Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.

5 Travel Deals!

                       MAP RESOURCES