[TN-Bird] Re: Broad-Winged Hawks, Yard Birds

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: KJHenry@xxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:34:40 EDT

Hi Kim,
I am always amazed at the spectacle Broad-winged-Hawks have the ability to
create!  Thanks for sharing your sightings with everyone.  I've always been
told
that when "Broadies" are migrating they move over a very broad area.  I love
going to our piece of "Hallowed Ground" at Soddy Mountain to record data for
each season of hawk migration, but this just helps to prove that you don't have
to be at a hawk watch to see migrating hawks!

As late as it was in the day, I would think, the hawks were looking for a
place to roost for the night.  Did you see anything that might suggest this to
you?  For years we have been looking for this very scenario so the next morning
we could rush up to the lookout to hopefully witness a "lift off."

At our watch site we sometimes get lucky and see the really low one's pass
by, mostly though, we see specks in the distance or either they are directly
overhead and in the stratosphere which results in warbler neck.

The best way we have determined to get accurate counts is to watch the kettle
until it rises from the bottom of a thermal to the top.  At this point the
hawks began to stream away individually and are more easily counted.

Thanks again,
Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson, TN.