[TN-Bird] Britton Ford 2/11/04

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:02:20 -0600

2/11/04
Britton Ford/Sulphur Wells Unit of TNWR
Henry Co.

I had a little time to kill today in Paris, so made a quick run up to
Britton Ford to see what was around. Duck numbers were somewhat lower
than I was expecting, but a nice variety was present nonetheless. As
usual for numbers and flair, the Canvasbacks stole the show. Nothing
really out of the ordinary to report in the hour or so I was there, with
the best birds being a pair of Common Mergansers in the distance from
the overlook. As is usually the case, a snazzy-looking Mallard x Black
Duck hybrid was seen. There is lots of courting going on now, with the
Hooded's at full hood, and Canvasbacks and Goldeneyes constantly
throwing their heads back in fine fashion. A hundred or so Greater
White-fronted Geese were in the area, with a lot of Canada Geese as
well, but I neither saw or heard a Snow or Ross's. I had hoped for a
Scoter, but that will have to wait for another day. There were very few
Scaup or Ring-necked Ducks in the area, and once again I did not see a
Redhead.

While I was there, Joan Stevens, the Refuge Ranger, arrived with a
couple of vans full of LBL volunteers that were down to see the local
sights. Most of these were very interested but green birders, and we had
a good time going through some of the ducks, playing match the name with
the duck! There were a couple of gorgeous Red-breasted Mergansers right
below the observation platform, which everyone got great looks at
through the couple of available scopes. All were duly impressed with
these birds. My time here was very short, and I left them to continue on
their way. Joan mentioned that some Sandhill Cranes had been seen
recently in the Elkhorn-Nobles/Oak Grove road area.

Good birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.