[TN-Bird] Re: [Bristol-Birds] Merlin, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: "Ben Britton" <benbrdn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:47:19 +0000

Hello to all,

I spent yesterday (1-18) afternoon in Western Greene Co.  Saw a few good
sized blackbird flocks, but the only Rusty I came up with, was by the TWRA
barn drainage ditch.  No Brewer's, but lots of grackles and red-wings.

My two big finds, were a Merlin, sitting on top of a pine on Hwy 348,
betweenLick Creek and Oakwood rd, and a L. Shrike at the intersection of
Glades rd and Purgason Ln.  This Merlin was seen about 1600, like the
Kingsport birds.

 I hung around the TWRA refuge for about 3 hrs, but had no luck with the
Short-eared owls or the Barn owls.  I did count 7 N.Harriers there.  I also
heard a few Red-headed Woodpeckers at the woodlot between Glades and Sapp
rd,maybe they will hang there, like the Green road desent.  (just learned
that name for a group of woodpeckers, been dying to use it!)

Been Brdn?

Ben Britton, Morristown, TN

From: "Donald Miller" <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "TN-Bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bristol-birds"
<bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Bristol-Birds] Merlin, etc. (Greene Co., TN)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:34:02 -0500

January 11, 2007   Greene County--mostly Mohawk, Midway, McDonald, and areas
nearby   An hour and a half's birding in the western end of Greene County
this afternoon produced the following:   Snow Goose (juvenile on Highway 340
at Turner Lane) Northern Harrier (3) Merlin (Highway 340 0.8 mile west of
Highway 348) Loggerhead Shrike (Highway 348 0.4 mile from Highway 340)   The
Merlin flew from a tree beside Highway 340 and descended on a male American
Kestrel on a wire about a fifth of a mile away, forcing the smaller bird to
drop a rodent that it had been eating.  The kestrel attempted to force its
attacker to give up the prey but had no success.  The Merlin picked up the
rodent and returned to the perch where I first noticed it.  The whole thing
took no more than about a half minute.  Quite a sight.     Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN   pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[1]

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES