[TN-Bird] Re: [Bristol-Birds] Blue-winged Warbler at Hampton Creek Cove State Natural Area

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 18:58:24 -0400 (EDT)

All,

About fifteen years ago, in central Ohio, a birder friend and I observed a
phenotypic Golden-winged Warbler sing a spot-on typical Blue-winged Warbler
"bee-buzzz" song at point-blank range in a low tree. Although we both had read
of this, it was the first time that we had actually witnessed it.

As anyone who knows me knows, I am at least as much an ear-birder as an
eye-birder, especially in regard to passerines. This BWWA/GWWA phenomenon
remains truly surprising to me, as I can usually use subtle details of tone,
phrasing, structure, etc. to distinguish similar sounds and different species.
(I am a former musician of dubious accomplishment who retained an ear but not
much else.)

Moral of the story: know the limits of ear-birding and eye-birding, and proceed
with caution.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN