[TN-Bird] Re: Brewer's Blackbird, Short-eared Owl, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:19:34 -0500

March 12, 2006

In regard to what I wrote about Brewer's Blackbird in my post yesterday
(see below), I should probably add a clarification, as my statement
could be interpreted to indicate that the species is a permanent
resident, which it definitely is not.

The site near Turner Lane has produced Brewer's Blackbirds for a number
of years, but only during a period of time from late winter to early
spring.  The species is a transient or winter visitor in east Tennessee
(possibly a winter resident in small numbers) and is observed only
sporadically, mostly at this time of year as it heads north and west
toward its breeding grounds in the western United States and western
Canada.  Apparently some of the large open fields of western Greene
County are a favored stopover area for birds migrating out of the
southeast and heading west.

I have often wondered why the Turner Lane area is preferred over other
large fields nearby.  I think the answer may be that it is a livestock
field, part of a cattle operation.  Most of the fields in western Greene
County are sown in soybeans or corn but are not used for grazing
cattle.  There is another field on Toby Road not far away where Don Holt
and I have observed Brewer's Blackbirds in the past.  This field also is
part of a cattle farm.  Perhaps the blackbirds are attracted to grain
used to feed cattle or perhaps to insects or other food sources
associated with cattle.  Whatever the reason, I have noted what appears
to be a local pattern.

I am aware that the species also is known to use a variety of other
habitats, so my speculation isn't strongly satisfying.  However, it's my
best guess based on the limited evidence I've been able to gather on
this infrequently seen bird.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN