[TN-Bird] Brainerd Levee, Osprey

  • From: "David & Gloria Patterson" <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 20:57:33 -0000

Brainerd Levee, Chattanooga, Hamilton Co., TN
April 27, 2003

Long-billed Dowitcher, 1
Short-billed Dowitcher, 10+
Pectoral Sandpiper, 5+
Solitary Sandpiper, 5+

Vulcan Recreational Area adjacent to levee

Great Blue Heron: At the 3-nest rookery nearest the airport I found 1 adult on
each of  3 nests, chicks in the nests were nearly as large as the parents, but
somewhat downy and dark.  One bird came in with an 8-inch fish and appeared to
feed it to the young.  The young birds were making loud sounds that I first
thought were frogs, 4 or 5 quick beeps in a row.  They may have been alarmed by
an owl (Great Horned, I think) that I had seen earlier flying in the direction
of the rookery.

At the other 3-nest rookery, close to Airport Road, it was more quiet, 1 adult
on each of 3 nests, 1 nest with at least 1 young, nearly as large as the
parent, downy, and another nest which was so small I could tell there were no
young in it (but adult standing on it).  This rookery was quiet.  After I had
been watching it for a few minutes a large hawk (Red-tailed?) flew out of the
nest area; it could have been in or behind one of the nests, and one of the
adults let off a very loud resonant trombone-like sound.

Some discussion with Kevin Calcoon and Judy Newsome regarding possible owl/hawk
predation on Gt Bl Heron young.  It seems like every active nest had an adult
standing guard; it looks like an owl/hawk might fear GB's long beak and skill
in using it.

Osprey: 1, fly-over, headed toward levee.

Orchard Oriole: 3 male (2 orange and 1 yellow, all singing) and 3 female.

A georgeous day, many beautiful sights and sounds, including a group of 4 deer
up close and unwary.

David Patterson
Chattanooga, TN