[TN-Bird] Re: Bobwhite quail need more help

  • From: "Roger Applegate" <Roger.Applegate@xxxxxx>
  • To: <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 22:25:32 -0500

This is heartening news to know as I have often felt that there should
be good bobwhite numbers there because of the land use pattern.

Roger D. Applegate
Small Game Coordinator
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency
Ellington Agricultural Center
PO Box 40747
Nashville, TN 37204

PH: 615/781-6616
FAX: 615/781-6654
Email: roger.applegate@xxxxxxxxxxx

UPS Address: 440 Hogan Road
                       Nashville, TN 37220
FedEx Address: 5107 Edmonson Pike
                       Nashville, TN 37211

>>> Alice Loftin / Don Miller   10/12/11 8:27 PM >>>
p { margin: 0; }October 12, 2011

I have read with interest the various posts on bobwhites today and
thought I should add a few comments.

I have kept daily bird records since January 1, 1994--most of which
pertain to Greene County , where I live--and have been pleasantly
surprised to have observed (heard, mostly) relatively a sizable number
of bobwhites.  In quite a few instances, the observations are of the
same birds in or near the same locations, but in the aggregate, the
picture is one of fairly widespread observations everywhere in the
county except in heavily forested areas.  I have even encountered
bobwhites inside the Greeneville city limits.

Almost all of my observations have been of birds in early successional
habitats, and a great many of them have been on or near properties
managed by TWRA.  In fact, there are enough of these sites to allow me
to predict with a fairly high degree of confidence where and when I will
find a bobwhite.  I often try to find one on our spring and fall counts
to ensure minimal representation for the species.

Greene is still an agriculturally significant county, and this surely
has something to do with my findings,as many farm owners allow part of
their property to revert to old fields.  However, as parts of the county
die off agriculturally, some land also reverts to old fields before it
is sold for subdivisions or whatever, and this probably produces some
bobwhite habitat for a short time.

In any case, for various reasons, Greene is still a place where one is
not stunned to hear or see a bobwhite.  It is one of my passionate hopes
as a resident of the county and a birder that concerted efforts by
professionals and dedicated amateurs can secure a happy future for these
magnificent animals.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN