[TN-Bird] Bluebirds fighting

  • From: "Tarcila Fox" <tarcila@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 09:14:19 -0600

It's hard to watch! I looked out to see two male E. Bluebirds fighting and
they seemed to be fighting to the death. Then another male joined in the
ruckus, and it was two against one. Then a fourth male flew in and it was a
free for all, sometimes all four tumbling on the ground, and sometimes the
two pairs fighting one on one. I wanted to run out and separate them, tell
them we have plenty of bluebird boxes and to quit fighting. I watched for
what was probably only 5 minutes, but it seemed like ages. I even had time
to run across the house to get my camera and take a few pictures.

Finally a flock of grazing Starlings and Robins took off all at once, and
that broke up the fight as the Bluebirds took the cue and flew away too.

Tarcila Fox, Goodlettsville, Davidson County TN