[TN-Bird] Bluebirds at nest box

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 11:55:45 -0500

This morning just before leaving for work I saw a Carolina chickadee
checking out the nest box in my back yard.  I thought, great!  The
chickadees built a nest and laid 6 eggs in it last spring but then abandoned
the nest.  No sooner had I observed the chickadee, however, than a female
bluebird flew to the box and ran the chiickadee off.  I watched for a couple
of minutes and saw both the female and a male bluebird at the box.  The
first bluebirds I've seen all winter at my house.  All right, spring is
here!

I do have a second nest box, so maybe I'll have both bluebirds and
chickadees nesting.

Carole Gobert
Knoxville, West Knox County, Tennessee