[TN-Bird] Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher FOY Knox County

  • From: Harold Howell <howellh2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Bird <TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 09:34:15 -0500

With my wife and grandson I birded around Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge in
Knox County, TN on Saturday afternoon.  Birds were scarce, with only a few
sparrows (Song and White-throated), a Ruby-crowned Kinglet and one Kestrel.
A number of Canada Geese were lounging around the banks of the river.  The
highlight of the day was a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher seen on the island where
the eagles once nested.  It is extremely early for a Gnatcatcher.  I have
not seen one this early before.  We had very good looks from about 25 yards
away.

Harold Howell
Rutledge, TN
Grainger County