[TN-Bird] Blount County big year

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Panther Lounge <thepantherlounge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 19:23:22 -0800 (PST)

Hi Folks,

Well now that it is 2006, I went through my list tonight.  You may
remember that last December I announced I was going to do a single
county big year.  (for those who are not crazy listers, that is when
one tries to find as many species in a given time and location as
possible).

I did very well through the end of May, but then got to busy to go
hunt the real rarities.  So I only ended up with one rare bird (A
Brewer's Blackbird at Kyker Bottoms WMA).  But 191 species is not
shabby, with a land-locked county, hardly any marsh, etc.  And there
were a number of birds others had that I missed.  We intend to
compile our cumulative list sometime soon.

Below is the list.

Charlie

From 1/1/2005 to 12/31/2005 ~ in Blount ~ 191 seen

Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe

Double-crested Cormorant

Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

Mute Swan
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
American Wigeon
Gadwall
Green-winged Teal
Mallard
American Black Duck
Northern Pintail
Blue-winged Teal
Northern Shoveler
Canvasback
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck
Greater Scaup
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Hooded Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser

Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture

Osprey
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Broad-winged Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk

American Kestrel
Merlin
Peregrine Falcon

Wild Turkey

Ruffed Grouse

Northern Bobwhite

Virginia Rail
Sora
American Coot

Killdeer

American Woodcock
Wilson's Snipe
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Western Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper

Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Bonaparte's Gull

Rock Dove
Mourning Dove

Black-billed Cuckoo
Yellow-billed Cuckoo

Eastern Screech-Owl
Great Horned Owl
Barred Owl

Common Nighthawk
Chuck-will's-widow
Whip-poor-will

Chimney Swift

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Belted Kingfisher

Red-headed Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker

Eastern Wood-Pewee
Acadian Flycatcher
Willow Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird

Horned Lark

Purple Martin
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Bank Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow

American Pipit

Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Cedar Waxwing

Carolina Wren
Winter Wren
House Wren

Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher

Eastern Bluebird
Veery
Gray-cheeked Thrush
Swainson's Thrush
Hermit Thrush
Wood Thrush
American Robin

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Carolina Chickadee
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse

Brown-headed Nuthatch
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Loggerhead Shrike

Blue Jay
American Crow
Common Raven

European Starling

White-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo

Blue-winged Warbler
Tennessee Warbler
Orange-crowned Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Cape May Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Pine Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Palm Warbler
Bay-breasted Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart
Prothonotary Warbler
Worm-eating Warbler
Swainson's Warbler
Ovenbird
Northern Waterthrush
Louisiana Waterthrush
Kentucky Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Hooded Warbler
Canada Warbler
Yellow-breasted Chat

Scarlet Tanager
Summer Tanager

Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco

Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Blue Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting

Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Brewer's Blackbird
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Baltimore Oriole
Orchard Oriole
Rusty Blackbird

Purple Finch
House Finch
Red Crossbill
American Goldfinch
Pine Siskin

House Sparrow

Charlie Muise, Naturalist near
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"To the dull mind all nature is leaden.  To the illuminated mind
the whole world sparkles with light."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson