[TN-Bird] Blount County Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 18:14:53 -0400

At White's Mill Wildlife Refuge in Blount County, Tennessee this hot afternoon
I had my FOY Blue-gray Gnatcatcher just before I left.  I had actually gotten
into my car when I saw movement in the bushes.  Naturally I got out to
investigate and got a good look at the little guy.  The refuge has lots of
water and lots of ducks.  I could not identify all the ducks as they are pretty
skittish and I didn't have my scope.  I did manage to ID the following:
Blue-Winged Teal     10Ring-necked Duck      6Bufflehead
4Mallard                    2Canada Goose          3
There may have been 4 American Wigeons but I can't say for sure.
A  Red-tailed Hawk kept flying over screaming; a couple of times it chased
another buteo, possibly another red-tail or perhaps a red-shouldered (longish
tail suggests the latter).
Carole GobertKnoxville, TN