[TN-Bird] Blog post: An Incidental Take Permit for Whooping Cranes?

  • From: viclcsw@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 07:16:28 -0500 (EST)

Dear TNBird recipients,

At the link below you will find a blog post that explains the current action
being taken by Merricourt Windpower Project in North Dakota regarding a request
to USFWS for an Incidental Take Permit for the endangered Whooping Crane and
the threatened Piping Plover and a response letter from the American Bird
Conservancy.

http://vickiehenderson.blogspot.com/2013/02/an-incidental-take-permit-for-whooping.html

As Dick Preston recently posted, the Tennessee Ornithological Society is a
signatory on this letter.

I created the blog post to make people aware of this situation and the
disturbing precedent that is being set by wind turbine companies.  Once these
exceptions are made for private industries, especially one-at-a-time exceptions
with no broader environmental plan, it will be very difficult to stop the
assault on our migratory corridors. These exceptions are weakening our wildlife
protection laws and the killing is far-reaching and impossible to track.
Consider the prosecution track record we have for the shooting of Whooping
Cranes and multiply....

Vickie

Vickie Henderson
Knoxville, Tennessee