[TN-Bird] Bledsoe County bird blitz (CBC rules) Dec. 29

  • From: "LeGrand Family" <elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 12:35:15 -0600

Stephen Stedman and I are planning on birding in separate full-day parties
in Bledsoe County within a 15-mile diameter circle on Monday, Dec. 29 (rain
date is Tuesday, Dec. 30). We are hoping for 2 additional birding parties to
do justice to this semi-spontaneous "birding blitz"/"exploratory" CBC. The
center will be about 3 miles NNE of Pikeville (to include Ninemile in the
northern Sequatchie Valley and the Taft Youth Center in the NW part of the
county).

The irrationale for this idea developed while we birded the whole day
together in Morgan County in late November, finding a respectable 72 species
and discovering some interesting birding spots along the way. We recognized
that Christmas Bird Counts are great for their year-to-year trends of
intensively birded areas. However, vast areas of the state never get
intensive birding. So we're looking for help to see what 2-4 parties can
turn up using CBC rules in Bledsoe County. If this is successful we might
even try it again, but somewhere else!

Does anyone know if the Short-eared Owls are at Ninemile? I've found
woodcock and screech owl there while waiting in vain for them last year.
Anyway, one of us will be there.

If you have an interest in participating with us, please contact Steve or
me.

-Ed LeGrand
Cumberland County

                       MAP RESOURCES