[TN-Bird] Black-throated Sparrow, Snow Goose, Alert for asthmatics

  • From: Jerry Ingles <jeingles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:03:19 -0600

As David Trentlly has already reported, Ruth Luckado and I went to the
Dennison Farm* to see the Black-throated Sparrow yesterday, where we were
priviileged to run into David, Audrey Hoff and Mike Nelson, especially
since Mike's eyes and ears proved remarkable and it was with his scope that
we were able to watch the sparrow feed in the grass.  It is amazing how
well this beautifully marked gray and white sparrow blends in with straw
colored grass.

On the way out, Ruth and I ran into Morris Williams, who told us that there
were longspurs on the farm as well as the pipit we had seen well right at
roadside.

We later stopped at the Whooping Crane pond** where a single white phase
Snow Goose dropped in.  My brain tried to turn it into a Ross', and was
quite capable of making the head round and the beak short, but just could
not get rid of the obvious grin patch.

Unfortunately, I suffered a respiratory attack last night which I can only
attribute to an allergic reaction to something in the air, grass or mud on
the farm, especially since my symptoms have diminished today without
specific treatment.

*Dennison Farm is found at the end of Milner Switch off of Red House Road
just northwest of Elora TN.

**This pond is on Winton Circle (a loop) off of Joyce Lane, with is a north
extension of TN 16 across US 64 just west of Winchester.