[TN-Bird] Re: Black-capped Ch. in Memphis?

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 07:25:50 EST

Right after the first cold snap, I had one chickadee coming to my feeder here
in the Charlotte Park are of West Nashville which WAS larger than the others
and had more white coloration in his wings as well as all the other field
marks of a black capped.  It never "said" anything, and it seemed to prefer to
stand off alone.  It stayed around for several days then disappeared.  It or
another one comes by off and on and was here on Sunday.  I just neglected to
report it because I have been told that black capped chickadees have never been
in
Nashville--that they are no closer by than the Smokies.  I TRULY BELIEVE it
was a black capped, but having had it so firmly hammered into my head that it
is
impossible for them to be here, I didn't even add it to my yard list. It
really looked BIG compared to my flock of little Carolinas, but they
outnumbered
it and kept it hopping off the feeder when they arrived.
Dee Thompson
Nashville, Davidson County, TN