[TN-Bird] Blackbird invasion

  • From: "Marty" <parula6@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:57:37 -0600

When I stepped outside a few minutes ago I was greeted by an incredible din. A
huge flock of what appear to be rusty blackbirds (Euphagus carolinus) were
moving about in the oak trees surrounding my home. They were far too many and
too mobile to count, but I'd guess somewhere between 250 and 400 birds were
involved. A large group would perch facing into the SE wind in one tree for a
minute or two, calling incessantly. Then they'd abruptly grow silent all at
once, undoubtedly using that secret avian communication system that is
invisible/inaudible to me. And a second later they'd all remove to another tree
maybe 100 feet away and start the process all over gain. At a given moment
maybe 10 large trees were so occupied. It was pretty spectacular. I imagine
it's premigratory behavior.
The light is less than ideal for best viewing, unfortunately, but they looked
more like rusties than Brewer's, which I've never seen in numbers around here.
But then, I've never seen this many rusty blackbirds at one time either.

Marty DeHart
Bon Aqua, Hickman Co., about 35 mi SW of Nashville