[TN-Bird] Black-bellied Whistler Surprise

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 19:54:13 EDT

August 26, 2009
Ensley Bottoms-TVA Lake
Shelby Co. TN

Nothing these birds do surprises me anymore. Today, I had an hour to spare
and at TVA Lake, I located 2 adult Black-bellied Whistlers. Then I decided
to  try for the youngster that I had not seen for a while at the pits. I
caught a  brief glimpse of the bird where it has been staying but then in
another area  BANG, there is an adult with 4 half grown young. The difference
in
size between  the single and the 4 is too much for them to be from the same
hatch.  As I had mentioned when the single showed up, it looked too large to
be the  remnants of the original brood of 5. After not seeing any adults or
siblings for  over a week, I just thought I was wrong. The 4 youngsters I
saw today with the  single adult are about the right size to be the first
group found weeks  ago.

At TVA Lake, there were the regular group of molting Mallards, 2 very young
 Least Terns plus 4 adults feeding them. There were a dozen DC Cormorants,
a  single Black Tern and the only Pectoral Sandpiper seen today.

At the "Pits", there are a ton of Least Sandpipers with fewer numbers than
this weekend of Semipalmated and Western Sandpipers. Also present were
Killdeer, Black-necked Stilts, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Solitary, 4 Spotted, 2
Semipalmated Plovers and a single molting female RUDDY TURNSTONE.
Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.