[TN-Bird] Black Tern, etc. (Washington Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 23:18:08 -0400

Washington Co., TN

This morning and afternoon I checked the areas in the Telford and
Limestone communities of Washington County mentioned in Rick Knight's
post of yesterday and was fortunate to have good results, though not the
same species or the same number of individuals that Rick found.

At around 8:20 on Bush Hog Boulevard in Telford this morning, I found
three Black Terns flying over the Bush Hog plant as they headed
northeast and a Great Egret at the pond.  While checking the area again
in mid-afternoon, I observed an immature Black-Crowned Night-Heron at
the pond but could not find any terns.

On Clark Road near Limestone a few minutes after re-checking the Bush
Hog area, I observed four Solitary Sandpipers, one Spotted Sandpiper,
and one Least Sandpiper.  I gave the pond a good long look but found no
Pectoral Sandpipers or dowitcher.

Earlier in the afternoon, I found two Solitary Sandpipers at Austin
Springs in the northern part of the county.

Thanks, Rick, for the post.

Rain is predicted for the region this coming week, so additional downed
migrants may show up in flooded fields and other suitable habitat.

Don Miller
Greeneville, TN