[TN-Bird] Black Scoters at Bruton Branch (Hardin County)

  • From: Jud Johnston <rivendell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 18:10:14 -0600

Today at 1 PM, I was idly gazing at a string of coots near the bank at the first point at Bruton Branch, when I noticed that one of them had a bright orange bill. This phenomenon very shortly resolved into a tight raft of 21 black scoters (4 M, 17 F). The scoters separated from the coots and swam away from the bank. When last seen they were 150-200 yards out, still in a fairly tight group.

Bruton Branch Recreational Area is on the right bank of the Tennessee River, maybe two miles upriver from Pickwick Dam, and can be accessed most easily via a signed turn on TN 128, a mile or so north of the dam.

Jud Johnston

Waynesboro, TN