[TN-Bird] Black Scoter- Memphis

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 19:15:35 EST

Jan. 4, 2003
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

Crossing the bridge this afternoon while returning from a productive CBC in
Arkansas that produced a female Richardson's Merlin, a light morph Western
Red-tailed Hawk, 4 species of warblers, Blue-headed Vireo, 4 species of geese,
lots of Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs (90), 2-Long-billed Dowitchers,
2-Short-eared Owls, and last but not least a mind blowing WHITE-RUMPED
SANDPIPER, I
decided to go by Ensley Bottoms in the rain. Ensley paid off again, when after
over
45 minutes of scanning through the hordes of Scaup, I came across a female
BLACK SCOTER.

It was like looking for a needle in a haystack if you took your eyes off her.
Even at the distance and with the rain, I got ID shots of this rare scoter
for TN. There were quite a few Greater Scaup in the ever changing numbers but
less than a couple of weeks ago. I usually am able to get one Black on my year
list in TN but this is only my second for Shelby, Co. in 20 years.

I'll share shots of the scaup flock plus the scoter to those interested....

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN