[TN-Bird] Birds of Utah (off topic)

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 03:16:48 +0000

I represented TWRA at the International Partners in Flight Workshop and
Conference in Snowbird, Utah, 25-28 Aug 2013.  Snowbird is a ski lodge in the
mtns near Salt Lake City.  I spent all of the time that I was not in sessions
getting winded hiking up the mtn (lodge was at 8350 ft elevation), dodging
moose (a couple were unexpectedly close), and birding around the canyons and at
the Great Salt Lake.  I spent some extra days before and after the meeting on
my own birding (how could I not!).  I managed a lot of lifers (19) and a good
species list (140) for the time I had there.

By FAR the highlight was following up on a weak lead (aka - shot in the dark)
in eBird on Black Swifts.  A buddy and I went out one evening and found at
least 24 flying up the canyon just before sunset and just ahead of a storm.  I
saw at least 20 in my scope! Others (including our Melinda Welton) went out a
couple days later and saw 40-65+ Black Swifts!  They are known to nest in only
2 canyons in Utah (including the canyon we were in), with a third suspected
canyon.  This is a very high count and I'm thrilled others were able to see a
lot of Black Swifts!  And I thought a Peregrine Falcon and a lifer Canyon Wren
at that spot were good, but we topped that with all the swifts!  Since our find
(and eBirding it), some local birders have seen 200-300 swifts (some were
white-throated) at the same spot at sunset.  The swifts were a very unexpected
find and certainly the highlight of the trip (and I know just how much people
try for these birds and miss them)!  Even 4 species of empids in one area just
a few days later (3 were lifers) paled in comparison!

For those interested, a gallery of images (some just record shots) starts here:
http://www.pbase.com/shoeman/utah_aug_13

Good meeting and good birding!
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist