[TN-Bird] Birding-a dangerous activity?

  • From: "Anna Varney" <arvarney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:42:11 -0600

All,

I've been debating sharing this story, but I figure that if it makes at least
one person smile than it is worth it.

A few days ago while working on my property in Perry County, my attention was
drawn to a very vocal, angry, mobbing murder of crows.  By the sound of things,
there were at least 10 crows getting really agitated at something.  Crows have
vocalizations they use to call out all defenses in the event that there is a
predator in the area.  So, I run from the back yard toward their calls hoping
to find them harassing a hawk or even better, an owl.  ( I wasn't hoping that
they were harassing anything, just hoping for a good look at things).  This
time of year with all the leaves on the ground, a person can't really see what
might or might not be on the ground beneath the leaves.  So, I'm-a-runnin for
the crows and then-one of those funny rock things jumped out in front of me
(didn't see it) and the old ankle twist sent a wave of pain to the brain.

Worst part is I never saw what all the ruckus was about.  Or maybe the worst
part is crutches for a while.  Its o.k. to smile now.

Anna Varney
Summertown, TN