[TN-Bird] Birding with Wilson and Todd

  • From: tcbirdwatcher@xxxxxxxxx (Tommy Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:44:47 -0600 (CST)

We decided to go to Paris on Wednesday to look for the Pacific Loon.
When we asked Jeff Wilson about it, he was going there on Wednesday also
and asked us to join he and Mike Todd and two other birders, Bud and
Don.

We had a great day with an estimated 40,000 gulls in one feeding frenzy,
watched 37 eagles come to the roost on the road to Pace Point, saw about
20 species of ducks, dozens of Common Loons, 2 Red-throated Loons, 2
Pacific Loons, 3 Greater Whitefronted Geese, and 2 Ross' s Geese,
watched 5 Bald Eagles fight over a wounded duck,  and went to feeders
where there were at least 75 Purple Finches.  At Britton's Ford we had
four species of geese at the same time - Canada, Greater Whitefronted,
Ross's and Snow.  It was a great day of birding and we learned so much
and it was good to put faces with email. And you haven't experienced
"living on the edge" until you've followed Ol Coot on the winding back
roads and tried to keep from getting whiplash as you swing a scope back
and forth trying to keep up with the birds he is calling out.

Today we went to the Duck River Unit and found 6 more Greater
Whitefronted mixed in with the Canadas right at the entrance.  Ducks
were scarce and we saw nothing new among them.  Lots of sparrows and we
found one White-crowned.  24 White Pelicans and 10 Common Snipe made the
day for us and a single Eastern Phoebe bobbed its'  tail as if waving
"goodbye" as we left the unit and headed home.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN